Thursday, May 19, 2011

To Judge or To Love

I have had a really hard time this week coming up with things to write about. It sounds weird, I know, but there hasn't been too much going on in our lives and I can always write about one of my silly stories (there are so many) but I didn't feel like writing just to write. I love to write and to share my stories from the past and my experiences that I am currently experiencing. There are a few blogs that I faithfully read because they always lift me up, make me laugh and inspire me to be a better person. I just got done catching up on my reading and have found a common theme in my life this week. I have constantly been surrounded by amazing people who are strong and funny and have helped to keep me strong and moving forward this week. These are lessons that I can carry with me forever!

Each of these instances now mean more to me as I remember them and see what I learned from each moment; whether that moment was in person or through someone else's blog. Taylor is just starting into Scouting and had passed off all of his requirements to earn his first two rank advancements. I am not familiar with Scouting since I'm a girl and I don't have any brothers that would have been involved in the Boy Scouts. We took Taylor over to our church for the board of review. This was both mine and Taylor's first experience with a board of review. There were only two of the members of the board that showed up but it didn't slow them down one bit (I guess there should be three) they just went forward and met with Taylor and one of the other boys in his den. I rarely see Taylor nervous about anything, but he was so nervous sitting in front of these two men. The two who were interviewing Taylor for his advancements are actually cousins and they were so much fun to be with. We spent most of our time laughing. Evidentially that is not normal either. Who knew! I have so much respect for them. Neither of these men talked down to Taylor or made him feel stupid or bad for not being able to repeat the Oath or the Pledge. Instead, the one leader stood with Taylor and had him repeat them after him. Isn't that why we are here, to help each other and if we don't know something or are scared we help them and walk them through whatever they are struggling with. Thank you, and you know who you are, for being such good leaders.

While reading one of my favorite blogs I learned that the author of this blog has had some hardships over the past year that she has tried to keep within her family but must have said something on her blog that got back to her family. She only has one sister like me and whatever it is that happened has led to her sister not being a part of her life now. I feel so bad right now for her, I just want drive to her State and find her and give her a big hug. There have been several times over the years that my sister and I haven't always gotten along and went for long periods of time without talking. We are a lot closer now and I cherish the friendship that we have now. It would kill me to loose that bond that we now have. I have realized over the years how important my family is to me and that I want them in my life and close to me. I did share a part of my life from years ago and it did hurt some of my family, I felt horrible because that wasn't my intentions and that is not how life is now. Now, life is good and I have my family around me.

Today I met a single dad while Taylor and I were at Shriners for Taylor's check up. His son's story is miraculous. He is a true inspiration, as most children are up there. His dad's story is almost just as amazing, it was fun to hear about him growing up in Iran. He has led quit the life. He is moving just outside of Logan next month and has invited us to his ranch for dinner after they are settled; he has promised some Iranian food. I'm not sure if he will actually get in touch with me for us to get our families together, but if he does I think my boys will have fun with his son, you can't help but love him.

For the last several weeks we have been studying the parables that Christ taught. I love reading and studying what Christ taught and hearing how other people interpret the stories. Out of the three that we went over on Sunday, two of the parables had to do with not judging others. Out of all of my experiences this week I have seen the pain that has come from people judging others and the joy that can come when you open your heart and accept our differences. It would be really easy to pick any number of excuses to hold a grudge about the things that has happened in my life over the years and not have anything to do with my family or other people who have trespassed against Kenny and I. However, my life would be empty and I would have missed out on a lot of joy that we have shared. In other instances I could just judge and not give people a chance. However, if I had done that I could miss out on some wonderful friendships. I have definitely spent plenty of time being on the side of judging others (usually just for what they are wearing) and I have been on the receiving end of being judged by people who didn't know me and had never even said hi to me or my family.

I am grateful for these opportunities to learn and be reminded of why it's important to forgive and not close my heart off to others. Thank you to everyone out there, whether you know it or not, for teaching me how to let the bad things in life go and to not judge someone on how they look or what they may be going through at this time in their life.

As I am reading over this it has come together in a random way, however, that is just how my life is. Nothing comes in order or necessarily make sense at the time but when everything comes full circle it starts to make sense. I love it when everything comes together and I can learn a lesson that I can carry with me forever. I'm pretty sure I will have to reminded of this lesson again, but for now I will enjoy all of the precious moments I will have with family, friends, and people I have yet to meet.

1 comment:

  1. Love, love, LOVE this post. Thanks for the beautiful reminder. I love the varying examples that you shared. You are one amazing woman! Thanks for being my friend!!

    ReplyDelete