Wednesday, May 25, 2011

New Washing Machine & Dead Body

Our washing machine was new about five years ago...we have to go back in time to appreciate this story. Right now while life is quiet and is giving me the opportunity to share some of my shining moments from over the years, I am going take the time to embarrass myself. Now, picture it...we had been living with Kenny's mom for the past few years and we were able to find a home in my mom's neighborhood that we could afford. We made all the arrangements and were blessed to have Christopher near so he could help us. Kenny had to work and couldn't be there to pick up our moving truck or drive it into Salt Lake the next morning to our new home. We had so much help and it was such a blessing to be surrounded by so many amazing family and friends.

We actually got settled quickly and loved feeling like we were grown up, it didn't seem real to be on our own again. My mom had just bought a new washer and dryer and gave us her old ones. We had her washer and dryer for a week when the washer decided to die on us. It was a sad day. I had so much laundry. Luckily we had a tiny amount of money in savings and we went to the same place to buy a new washing machine that my mom had gone to. The salesman was so nice and even bent the rules so we didn't have to pay for the delivery fee. I was so lucky to have only gone for a couple days without a washer. I was surprised when I was the first person on their delivery list and had my washer first thing, like before 8 am.

I have to back up just a little here; the day before I had gone grocery shopping and on my way home had passed the neighborhood park and seen something that looked weird. There was a car parked there with a scary van next to it. Even though it looked off to me, most things looked off to me in the area we had moved into. I learned quickly that Salt Lake has an inner city and we had moved into the middle of it. I could hear gunshots most nights as we were falling asleep. Strangely enough, I miss that neighborhood and the many different people that live there. We made some good friends while there.

Once the washing machine was delivered and all set up I wasted no time in starting my first load of laundry. I walked away to do other things and came back a while later to switch loads. I was surprised when I went back and the washing machine was still not done. It was filling up and then draining about half way and filling up again. I didn't know what was wrong, so, trying to fix this on my own and without bugging Kenny this time I called the repair number that was in the owner's manual. Once again, I'm calling for help and everyone reading this should feel bad for both us during this phone call. Here is how it went:

Poor Receptionist: Hello, blah blah blah company. How may I direct your call?
Me: Hi, I just had my new washing machine delivered and it's not working right. I need to talk to whomever can help me.
Transfered to the poor repair man who had to talk to me. Don't feel to bad for him yet.
Poor Guy: Hi mam, I understand that you are having a problem with your washing machine. What is it doing exactly?
Me: It fills up and then drains half way, fills up again and immediately drains again. It has been doing this for a couple hours and I'm pretty sure that is not normal.
Not So Poor Guy: (faint laughing can be heard in the background) No, that is not normal. The only problem is that they put the drainage tube in too far. You just need to pull it out a little and you should be fine.
Me: Okay, thank you.

I got off the phone and went to fix the washer. It was only once I got to the washing machine and really looked at it that I realized I had a new problem. Was the line to far into the machine or the drain. In my mine I assumed that it was to far into the machine. The washing machine was full of water and I couldn't move it very far and the dryer wasn't moving to much, there wasn't room to move it. My only option was to climb up on top of the washer and dryer to try to reach the bottom of the washer so I could pull the line out. I had one knee on the washer and one knee on the dryer and my butt up in the air. I couldn't reach the bottom and so I gently tried to tug on the line to get it out so my new machine would work. I was like that for a while and was trying as hard as I could to figure out what the problem was and why it wouldn't pull back out of the machine. My knees were hurting and so I finally got off the washer and dryer and realized that the back window was wide open across from me. I was quickly hoping that my back neighbors weren't home or were busy with their lives so they didn't notice the crazy new lady straddled on top of her washer and dryer with her butt up in the air while tugging on the drainage line from the washer. After I stood there for a moment trying to get over any embarrassment from what I had just done, I noticed the other end of the line going into the drain. The light bulb came one. I'm sure it was a little dim at first and as I looked at the drainage tube my light began to get brighter and brighter. I now knew what part of the line I should have pulled back a little. I gently pulled the drainage line out of the drain and turned on the washing machine.....it worked!!

While I had been on top of the washer and dryer my mom and Chris had been at my door knocking and knocking trying to get my attention. They finally tried calling the house to see if I was home. When I answered the phone they wanted to know what I was doing because they are in the driveway and wanted to tell me some news. I let them in the house and explained what I had been doing. They laughed so hard and couldn't believe that I had been trying to pull the hose out of the washer. They then proceeded to tell me that there was a dead body found at the park just down from me. So, there was something wrong with what I had seen. When I told my mom and Chris about what I had seen they loaded me up in their truck and made me go talk to the police. I had to give the police my information and then tell them about the van that had been there. I'm not sure if they ever found the killer but it sure made for one eventful day. And, lucky for Kenny I actually let him focus on work and didn't call him and demand him to come home. I had so much to tell him when he got home.

We all had dinner that night together at my mom's house and once we got over the shock of having a dead body found just down the street from our house, we spent the rest of the night laughing about me and that stupid washing machine. Oh, and we can't forget the call to the repair guy. I can finally admit that after I was laughed at the first time I didn't want to call back and ask which part of the hose I was supposed to pull out.

Out of all the places that we have lived, this house definitely provided for the most eventful first week ever. This is also the same house that I later set off the alarm system. We only lived there for 6 months but it felt like so much longer. We made some good friends there and had many adventures. I really like the area that we are living in now but if it doesn't work out for us to stay here I would love to move back to that neighborhood and be a part of our own little melting pot here in Salt Lake City.

No comments:

Post a Comment