Friday, May 20, 2011

Another New Adventure

After a few years of talking about possibly home schooling our boys, Kenny and I finally decided that home schooling our boys was exactly what we needed to do. There are so many reasons why we have decided to go in this direction. We have had to deal with so much bullying in the schools (even with their no tolerance policy), there are so many kids bringing guns and other weapons to school now that it's just getting crazy, and, and, and. I could keep going but the rest of the reasons sound so much more realistic so I'm only going to share my paranoid reasons with you :)

I know that right now I get overwhelmed quickly and would probably give in if the boys gave me any kind of a fight with doing their school work, so I applied to have them attend the Utah Virtual Academy. This way I will have someone to answer to and we have to log the hours for the boys attendance. I will have to follow through. All the boy's classes are online and I will still need to take them each year for their testing to make sure they are progressing and meeting the State requirements. It's not going to be all play for them but it will be for me. I am so excited to teach them and be more involved with their schooling.

Originally, I was told that we wouldn't find out if they were accepted until after school gets out for the summer. I wasn't planning on hearing anything until the middle of June at the soonest. I already received their acceptance emails. It is official, we are entering into the world of home schooling!!

I already had set up Taylor's schedule and now it feels even more real because I just got an email with Kelton's proposed schedule. He is going to have to take a pre-test to get the math class that he wants, but he shouldn't have any problems with that. All I have heard about for the past month is how he wanted to take Geometry next year but the school district changed their policy and took Geometry away. That is the math class that they have suggested for him, he just has to take the pre-test and get a 70%. He will have no problem with that.

So, here we go into another adventure. Home Schooling!!! Anyone out there that knows me and home schools be prepared, I will be bugging you with lots of questions as we begin.

No comments:

Post a Comment