Wednesday, October 5, 2011

Leaving the sidelines

When I was younger I loved politics.  I loved to get up on Sunday and watch all the political shows like Meet the Nation and because I knew it all I would have great debates with the T.V.  Now I'm older and realize that there is much that I don't know.  I have a family now that I need to protect and at the same time educate as to what is happening in our Nation.  I know that I have voiced my opinion here many times and even though when I started this blog I thought it would be just another cute place to update and record our little life, I can't leave it that way.  I have way too much going on in this little brain of mine and I will no longer fret over my postings and if they might offend.  There are things that need to be said.

Growing up with parents that were from the Vietnam era, I heard stories about people protesting.  I heard how our citizens didn't support the government (and unfortunately our soldiers).  People back then were not afraid to stand up and protest when they saw something that was wrong.  They were willing to get out there and march and rebel against a government that was not working for the people. Let's go further back to when our new little Nation was ruled over by a corrupt government that was across the ocean.  People then also stood up and had to not just protest but fight against wrong.  

Fast forward 30is or so years and we have a group of people running our Country that are, most likely, just as corrupt or more so now.  I already wrote about Kelton and his volcano theory, now we have people protesting and becoming a part of OCCUPYWALLST.  On the radio this morning they said that it is not just college students any more, that there are middle age adults joining who have lost their jobs.  On CNN's home page it shows a story that the unions want to join in with OCCUPYWALLST.


Part of that same story that I was listening to on the radio said that we also have an OCCUYSLC group.  They are planning a march for tomorrow evening, however, their web site does not have the time or location on there yet.  The radio story said that it was to begin at The Capital and move to Pioneer Park.  I put one of their flyer's above.  For the first time ever, I am pondering being part of a true movement instead of saying that I'm too busy with my family and others are taking care of it.

How can I sit by any longer knowing how many of my friends that have lost their jobs this year. My neighbor who has a college degree but makes minimum wage.  Our own income has dropped, sometimes by as much as $800 a paycheck.  Our government doesn't have enough money to run our Country and threaten to shut down.  If they do that, I know several people who rely on their disability, their SSI, they are government employee's, and they are enlisted in our armed forces.  How can I sit by and see/or know of people who are working hard and all they might get is an IOU instead of a paycheck.  Other threats have included taking away our military's pension and their low cost health care.

I can no longer sit silently when I see how all of this is affecting my neighbors.  Our ancestors were probably just as nervous as I am now to stand up and say enough is enough.  If our government has enough money to give billions in hand outs to banks and other lending institutions, why can't they cover the basic day to day operations of our Country?  If we have to cut healthcare to our low income citizens, how can we continue to  fund 2 wars?  Oh, that's right, we are giving our soldiers IOU's!  Unless, our government can take out another loan and put us further in debt, all we watch the bickering and drama that will take place just so they won't have to follow through with the threat of shutting down.

It is still my responsibility to research out this movement to make sure that the rebellion they mention on their flyer is to stick with the peaceful movement that was started on Wall St.  It is still my responsibility to educate myself as much as possible with the truth and not just what is being fed to us in the media.  Then I can move forward with knowledge in hand and leave the sidelines.  It's my time to have the same strength that others have, to not allow myself to sit by and watch things fall apart around me.  All those people before us who have fought, protested, and gave their lives so we could live in this amazing Country, I feel, would be ashamed of where we are now.

The lava is really starting to boil!

No comments:

Post a Comment