Friday, October 14, 2011

Wheeler Farm Field Trip

I haven't mentioned how much I am loving having the kids home and having them be a part of K12.  We have gone on field trips before on our own but today was our first official field trip with K12.  I was of course running late.  I was worried about being late but it ended up working out perfect because I was able to meet some wonderful moms and their boys.  If we had been on time I wouldn't have been able to meet moms that I could click with so quickly.

We started with a get to know you game where we had to introduce ourselves and then answer a question.  Other people were getting easy questions like what was the last book you read.  My question was, "what person, living or dead, would you like to meet?"  How do you narrow that down?  Of course I stood there like a moron trying to think of something.  I finally answered that I would like to meet Laura Bush....who knows, she is someone I would like to meet but there are so many other people I would like to meet as well.

Each of the boys had to then introduce themselves and answer their questions.  Kelton was asked what his greatest fear is and Taylor was asked what is the worst job.  Kelton is afraid of heights and Taylor said that the worst job is picking up dog poop.  We have been picking up lots of dog poop lately, it must be his favorite part of walking Maggie.


They had a craft activity for us to do while we waited to begin our tour of the farm.  We were to make friendship bracelets.  I messed mine up so bad, it is a mess. Taylor's looks really cool and of course he made his with the Panthers colors.  Kelton refused to make a bracelet, I guess he's too old for this stuff now.  So I gave him the job of texting his dad for me.


Finally....we get to go on the tour and we are heading toward the barn.


They gave the kids "hay rides".  There was no hay but they did get to go for a ride in a wagon that was pulled by a tractor and saw the majority of the farm.  I almost can't believe that they are old enough to just go off on their own.  


After the tractor ride we got to start our tour around the animals.  We saw piggies and rabbits and horses.  They also had chickens and turkeys and sheep.  When we got to the goats I couldn't help snapping a picture of this little bearded fellow.  He is so cute and I guess rare.


This cute little pony is named Snickers.  Taylor just fell in love with him.

We then moved onto the cows and went into the milking building.  They had signs up on the walls that described the different cows and how much it took to feed them.  I was amazed to read how much hay and grains they eat every day.  I was also shocked to find out that they still milk the cows there by hand and that it takes on average 500 pulls to milk a cow.  How does anyone last that long?  


This is the holding area where the cows and goats are milked.
 Our guide explained that the cows and goats have their own milkers and if someone different tries to milk them they will throw a fit.  She said that she tried to milk a goat that wasn't normally hers to milk and it kicked her repeatedly.  She also said that goats are the worst to milk.  Who knew?


Our last stop on our tour was to meet the blacksmith.  He was really nice and patient with all the children (there were a lot of younger children).  He explained how to heat the metal and then shape it.  He made a chain and then started asking the kids how many chains he would have if he connected two little chains he had.  It was fun to see him sneak that math into his presentation.


This was our guide through the farm.


I tried several times to get the boys to pose for some nice pictures, but them being boys, that didn't happen.  I didn't even bother adding the other pictures of them.  I took one of Kelton in front of one of the old wagons and Taylor was inside the outhouse.  They wouldn't smile for nothing.  I thought this one had turned out but they are both pulling faces.  I still like this picture of them but I don't think it will make it as something I would want to give to the grandma's for Christmas.

It was so nice to go and have the boys interact with some of the other kids that they are in school with.  I also got to meet their science teacher (they have the same teacher for science, she teaches for both the middle and high schools), Taylor's history teacher, Kelton's geometry teacher and the High School Principal.  It is really nice to be able to put a face with a name, not so sure they had the same feeling since I am constantly emailing them with questions.

On the way to our car Taylor suddenly asked for the hand sanitizer.  My boys never ask for that, what, you want to "wash" your hands?  I think they might have been switched on the hay ride.  They always tease me about the big bottle of sanitizer that I carry in my purse and now they couldn't get to it fast enough.  I couldn't help laughing.  I've turned them into such city boys :) What makes this really funny is that we didn't even pet or touch in any way any of the animals.  


We were able to end our morning adventure by having lunch at the park with Kenny.  I thought I timed this picture better, sorry guys.  We got to indulge with Jimmy Johns.  I now hate other sub sandwich places, Jimmy Johns has ruined me.  I then went to McDonald's for drinks because they are cheap and so are their apple and pumpkin pies.  We also got to be entertained by the guys at a table behind us that were drinking.  The park rules state that you can't have alcohol on the property, but they were having a nice little Friday afternoon party back there.  I think the rules said that your dogs had to be on leashes and there was a lady there with 2 dogs that had leashes on but she just let them run wild with their leashes dragging behind them.

This has been such a fun day for all of us.  We got to meet so many people and make some new friends.  There was some really good people watching.  Most of all, there was lots of family time.

No comments:

Post a Comment