Thursday, November 11, 2010

Veterans Day

There are so many people from the very beginning of this nation that need to always be remembered. I am so thankful for our founding fathers and their strength to start this new nation. I am so thankful that they had the foresight to know that we needed to not have a ruler but a president. We have been blessed to be able to grow up in this land and to have the freedoms that we enjoy everyday. I am blessed to have a long line of men (and a woman) who have served honorably in different branches of our armed forces. They have been willing to keep us safe not only on the battlefront but also here at home.

I am so thankful to the military personnel that are out fighting today! I hope they know that, that they do have support here at home. Every time I see someone in uniform I want to thank them and then I chicken out because I don't want to seem dorky to the people that are keeping me safe. Just know that if any of you out there are reading this and you see me in public, know that as we pass I am saying "Thank You" over and over in my head.

I want all the families out there who have lost a loved one in battle how much I appreciated them. For the most part I have never met any of these people, but I am very proud of their courage. Your loved ones are missed by all, whether we knew them or not, because each of them had an impact on so many peoples lives. I also appreciate and am in awe at your courage as family members. You give so much of yourselves into being part of a military family and do so much behind the scenes to help and encourage everyone around you.

In my own family there have been several who have willingly and during the draft, not so willingly, serve our Country. I'm sorry to say that my scanner is still on vacation, I really wanted to add more pictures. So, instead of being able to see who I'm talking about you'll have to just read about them only.

On my mom's side of the family I think almost everyone has served in the Navy. I know that one of her Uncle's died when Pearl Harbor was bombed. All of her Uncle's were in the Navy. I know that my Grandpa McCleery was in the military but I'm not sure which branch. That is horrible and I really should have found out before writing this. If anyone wants to add that to the comments I would appreciate it. Thank You Grandpa!!


This is my Uncle Ron, my mom's brother. He served in the Navy during Vietnam and has courageously carried that with him everyday since being there. He is an amazing man who has stayed strong for his family and has been a wonderful example for me. Thank You Ron!!

This is Ron with his daughter Jessie, my cousin. Jessie also served in the Navy and was blessed to be able to serve between the two Gulf Wars so she didn't have to be in battle. I know she was on a boat (understatement I'm sure) that did mine sweeps. I think she is amazing and courageous to be out on those ships for months at a time. On facebook today she wrote,
I am a Veteran. A Veteran is someone, who at one
point in their life, wrote a blank check payable to the United States of
America for an amount up to, and including, their life. Regardless of
personal political views, that is an honor, and there are way too many
people in this country who no longer remember that fact...
I couldn't have said it better, Thank You Jessie!!

This is Jason, Jessie's husband. He also served in the Navy, that is where they met. I am thankful that he was also blessed to have his active time end before he had to be in the war that is currently going on and did not have to be in battle. He was able to come home and be a wonderful husband, father, and member of our family. Thank You Jason!!

This is of course, my Kenny. He served in the Utah National Guard Army. He has so much love for this Country and has missed being a part of the military. I'm sure he would sign up right now if he could. He was called a few times over the years and told to be ready to leave at any moment and then luckily they wouldn't need his unit. I know he would have gone and I would have supported him, but I'm glad that he has been able to be home with his family. Thank You Kenny!!

Christopher, Kenny's sister's husband, was an Army Ranger. He has also been an amazing example of patriotism and honorably served his country. He is one of the few who made it through Ranger School the first time through. Once again, I know he was on stand by and somehow he didn't have to go and see war. We were all thankful when Christy let us know that he wasn't leaving. Christopher's Dad was also in the military and is an amazing man. Thank You Christopher and Larry!!

My Dad was in the Army and was stationed in Germany during Vietnam. I'm so glad that he didn't have to be in Vietnam and in the middle of the ugliest parts of the fighting. I know that whatever he did do while in Germany had an impact on the rest of his life. He was an amazing dad and example for me. Thank You Dad!!

I know that my Grandpa Shiflett was also in the armed forces and was active duty but once again I'm not sure which branch he was in. Thank You Grandpa!!

Last, but not least, is the newest member of the family to join the military. Austin, Kenny's cousin, is in the Air Force and is stationed in Afghanistan right now. He still seems to young to be able to be gone and serving our Country in our current war. I still remember taking him to kindergarten. He is now such an amazing man and has already shown much courage and strength during his training and now his time in Afghanistan. Thank You Austin!!

No comments:

Post a Comment