Tuesday, November 23, 2010

Budget?

Dear Son,

It has been brought to my attention that you think we have a never ending money tree on our balcony. I'm pretty sure where this misconception has come from, however, I do feel as your mother that I need to set this straight. As much as you love having video games to play with and Lego's to build, those things cost money. I know that you enjoy having a home to live in, food to eat and heat and hot water, but those things cost money as well. Just thought I should point out the obvious.

Being a normal 13 year old, I understand that you feel as though everything is about you. I remember that age and I'm pretty sure I much like you and I had to have the same obvious things pointed out to me. One of the things that I had to realize was that I was part of a family and that sometimes other people in the family need things also. I know how much you enjoy your ice cream every day, but dang it, your mother also needs her Diet Coke! I think that if we can sit down and talk we can find a compromise where we can both have our treats.

Your dad's mountain dew is another story, we'll worry about that later :)

I have spent some time lately wondering where I may have gone wrong? How is it that I missed this important lesson in life? And then it came to me, I can't teach you what I haven't learned yet. I feel so much better knowing that it isn't my fault, it's my parents*. Whew, dodged that bullet. Before I come down on you again for spending 2 months of lunch money in one month, I will learn how to follow a budget so I can help you understand that strange new word in our vocabulary, budget. I just ask that you be patient while I learn what this new word means before you start asking to many questions and trying to understand it before me.

I love ya, Son! I will always love you, even when you go wild with your lunch money and spend 2 months of money in less than 1 month.

Love,
Mom

*I feel as though I should add a disclaimer here; mom, I hope you know that I'm kidding. Did you read the sarcasm in that sentence? It is really important that you did, I really don't want another blog misunderstanding :)

1 comment:

  1. I love it! My kids also took half their lunch money and spent it at the snack shack at school, so when they came and asked me for more lunch money they wondered why I came unglued on them. Coming upon this time of year and making out of christams lists one of my daughters (the future computer hacker/gamer) asked for a laptop! Then was once again confused when I laughed at her and said, "REALLY"!

    ReplyDelete