Wednesday, July 13, 2011

Comic Book Club

The idea of a comic book club was first mentioned by Chase, my cousin Jessie's son. He thought up this whole idea and even had a sign up sheet for all of his classmates to sign up on if they wanted to attend. To Jessie's surprise, almost every one in Chase's class signed up. Yesterday was their second meeting and my boys were able to go and enjoy reading comics with other kids.

Kelton and Taylor were a little nervous at first because they are the oldest kids in the group. It didn't take long for them to find their nitch and the group that had the same interest as them. There were 15 kids total there for this meeting, however, unless I had all the parents sign releases or something I didn't feel comfortable taking other kids pictures and posting them.

There was a lot of comic book reading which totally surprised me. The kids would take a book and read it and share cool parts with someone sitting by them and then they would trade out their book for another one and there was so much reading going on for an hour! There was also several serious discussions. Comics aren't all fun and not everyone is going to agree with the content in each issue. I got a chance to tell Chase how cool I thought it was that he had come up with this idea and how great it was as a way to keep the kids reading during the summer. He had to think about it for a minute and then said, "I never thought of it that way." I told him I was pretty sure he hadn't but as a mom that was my first thought. Good job Chase for having such a good idea.

Like I said there were some pretty interesting discussions and we had a few "good" kids who were very quick to point out if they felt like the comic book they had was to graphic for them. Evidently not all children are okay with seeing guts ripped out or an arm getting cut off. I think it's easier to say that those kids are too sheltered, not that my kids are too desensitized.

These three monkeys came home with me, well I guess I should have at least taken 2 of them, they are mine. Since I didn't get any other pictures, that would require me to remember my camera more than once in a day, I didn't get any pictures of them swimming. Chase came home with us and we went swimming in our pool. I think we were there for close to 2 hours and they had a ball the entire time. With one teenager and two tweens I was amazed to not have any arguing, whining, or any other form of not getting along. They were so wonderful!!

I made their night by ordering pizza and letting them sleep in the front room and stay up watching a movie. I had to totally rearrange the furniture and I wasn't even sure Kenny was going to be able to get out the front door to leave for work this morning. I was nice and didn't take their pictures while they were asleep but only Kelton and Chase stayed in the living room, Taylor went to his bed. His recliner was the one blocking the door, Kenny was able to get out for work. I was so proud to be able to announce that I had stayed up this morning when Kenny got up and was going to cook a good breakfast before I had to get Chase home early for his swimming lesson. However, I fell asleep and woke up when we were supposed to be leaving. I only had health food and no milk for cereal. I had to take the poor child home without feeding him. I may soon be fired from sleepovers.

When Kelton and I got back from taking Chase home Taylor had put the front room back together and both boys collapsed back into their recliners and watched the "old" Transformers cartoons that we got from Netflix. I would almost bet that Chase makes it through his lesson and then crashes at home. They played hard yesterday and they were outside almost all day and then stayed up late. I didn't even do half of what they did and I'm ready for a nap, or should I say another nap :)

No comments:

Post a Comment