Thursday, June 30, 2011

Happy Birthday Lil Sis!!!!

Today my sister turns 33 years old. I can't believe how old we're getting, even though she hasn't been told that she is over "whatever" age, mam. So, to be the total buggy big sister I sent her a text earlier in the morning. Then I said happy birthday on facebook. Now I'm doing the ultimate happy birthday by showing her as she grew up. There are many holes in the years but I think I've covered the important ones.

I also have to add that on my birthday our mom will call me and say, "blank years ago I was in labor right now." Today while we were talking she said, "33 years ago right now I was in labor." I was completely confused, today is not my birthday. It took me a minute to put it together that she was talking about Becca. Duh! So, 33 years ago, my mom was in labor with my little sister. My life was never the same. Sorry Becca, I know today is your day, but it is still all about me :)


I can't believe how little Becca is in this picture. I think she is about 3 years old and she always had her elephant with her. Because our Uncle called elephants "numpanuts" (since it's not really a word, I think I spelled it right), that was her numpanut. Later when she was in school the kids got to pick their favorite stuffed animal to put a cast on. Becca picked her numpanut and put a cast on the trunk. From then on that poor numpanut had a heavy cast on it's trunk. He never sounded the same either.

We would spend so much time making a bed on the living room floor to watch movies. We also spent tons of time using all those blankets to make forts in any room that we could. There were several forts that had a living room, a kitchen, and at least 2 bedrooms. We were amazing fort builders. We were also amazing "bed" builders. It didn't go that smooth as we got older and taller, we couldn't share that afghan anymore or much of anything else. I still have that afghan, my Grandma Shiflett made that for me.

Look at how wonderfully I lined up these two pictures when I scanned them. The only way I could have made it worse is if they were on their sides. Above is one of Becca's school pictures. I'm thinking 4rd grade or so because her ears are pierced. I had to wait until I was 12 years old and Becca got to get her ears pierced at the same time.
I'm not sure if there was any rhyme or reason with this picture, but with any of these kinds of pictures is there any kind of strategy other than smile at all times in case the flash goes off. I'm thinking we were supposed to pull a funny face because Becca has her checks puffed out, Jessie isn't playing along, and somehow I ended up squished between their chests. Of all the times that I have been squished between these two, I'll take this one, every other time they would both have a handful of hair and would be playing tug-of-war with my head.


After our mom graduated from Nursing school, she took us on vacation. We went to Jenny Lake in Jackson Hole. We had so much fun and it was such a wonderful time together. Even though you can't see us very well, I have always loved this picture of us together. We were at that time in life when we didn't spend much time together, so this is a special moment. I think we even got along for the majority of the week we were there.

This was at Kris and Scott Moffitt's wedding reception. We all got to be servers and we all look so amazing. From left to right: Me, Becca, 2 cute girls I didn't know from the Moffitt side, and Jessica. I love the fact that I have the big hair documented on Jessie. I don't even think I ever got my hair that high. It was such a beautiful evening and we all felt so grown up serving the guests.

Happy Halloween!!! I think out of all of us who have worn that costume Becca looks the best. She is always so beautiful and looks amazing in anything. I do have to add that when it comes to Halloween, Becca's best costume was the evil witch from Sleeping Beauty...she had the part down and did her make up just like in the movie. It was a little scary how good she looked.


Just an amazing picture of Becca taken in front of our apartments. Beautiful!!!


Becca and Mom at Becca's Graduation. I was so proud of her, she had to overcome so many obstacles to make it to graduation. She not only made it to graduation but she did it with grace and maturity. She has always been strong but this is truly when she started to truly bloom and show some of her talents.


Becca has always been a wonderful Aunt to my boys. I love this picture with all of us around Kelton when he was a newborn. My boys have the best Aunt who loves to just hang out with them and other times spoil them. She has always been very involved in their lives and you can tell that they have a good relationship.


Another example of her being involved with their lives. This is Kelton's 2nd birthday. She also came out and helped me throw a friend party for one of his birthdays and she has always been to every birthday dinner for her nephews. I couldn't ask for a better sister to be involved in my boys lives.


Here is Becca now. She is so strong, independent, smart and beautiful. She set a goal for herself that she would learn to ride a motorcycle and this is her baby. She has my nephew with her in this picture. She is constantly learning and excelling at her job and in her personal life. She has her own business that she does on the side making jewelry (which is about all I wear now). She is to talented.

I am very happy that you survived me jumping off the bed onto you when you were a newborn baby. I'm glad that your hair grew back after all the times that I cut it off. I'm not so sure if I'm glad that you endured and put up with me as your bossy big sister because now your my bossy little sister.

I am in constant amazement with your ability to have gone through all the surgery you have had and the constant pain that you are in and yet you will not let it slow you down. You just keep going and doing all the things that I think others thought you wouldn't be able to do.

Happy Birthday! I love you!!!!

2 comments:

  1. Thank you Rachelle, even though this made me tear up... I love you sis and am very lucky to have you! Thanks for all your support and love over the years.

    And I love the pictures you posted, where did you find them?

    Love you Rachelle!

    ReplyDelete
  2. And I love my 9th grade promotion picture (the one in front of the apartment) I look the exact same, except smooth skin, thinner and thicker hair, but the same...lol...

    ReplyDelete