Monday, June 20, 2011

Nerf Wars

With us having mostly boys in our family, we have a lot of testosterone. One way that it comes out is through Nerf gun wars. It is fun to see the kids running around with their guns and playing. Most of the time they aren't even shooting each other, surprising I know, but they like to go after some supernatural thing and fight together. I'm thinking that means that we have let them watch way to much on the Syfi channel and lately it has been Fringe. We have also probably let them watch to many syfi and western movies. Either way they are boys and love to have a good Nerf gun war!


Taylor, Kelton and Kenny each got Nerf guns for this past Christmas. They already had a few Nerf guns already and now I think that what we have could be officially considered a Nerf gun arsenal. Kelton and Taylor had fun getting all dressed up in their gear and had to include their winter gear in with their outfits. They will wear their face masks for Nerf wars but I never did see them wear them outside during the winter. I wish I had gotten a picture of the time that Taylor came out with his scarf wrapped around his head and said that he was a terrorist. Even though I felt as a mother that I needed to teach him that it wasn't really right to either pretend to be a terrorist or make fun of them; it was so funny!

This kind of play didn't just start this year, it has been going on for a while. I was looking back through some pictures and found this picture of Taylor and Chase playing while Jessie and I were making fudge. Sometimes you just have to take control and take a hostage. :)

There are times when we don't have enough Nerf guns and this was one of those times. Jackson was still having a ball with his gun even though it didn't shoot it made a lot of noise. Let me emphasis that again, it made a lot of noise. I love how he is making such a face for his picture.


Just a couple weeks ago my friend from middle school came to visit and we had them over for dinner. It didn't take long before my 2 boys and their 3 girls were in an all out Nerf gun war. It was so fun to watch them play and get along. My boys had been so worried because Nikki just had brought 3 of her children with her and they were all girls. It didn't stop them from pulling on the masks, filling their back pockets with ammo and let the darts fly. I really wish I had gotten more pictures of that evening. Each of Nikki's girls had put on the face mask and gear, it was awesome!!

I did get a picture of the pockets filled with ammo! I wouldn't have even thought of that and I don't think I've seen any of the boys do that. Way to be innovative and make sure you were prepared!

I did get this picture of Nikki's youngest in the face mask and her Nerf gun. She was just having a ball. I'm really sad that I didn't get a picture of her in Taylor's Fedora, but she had that on for a while and could have been a true mobster.

I know that there are some of you out there that wouldn't agree with me letting my children play with guns. Like most of the hosts on "The Talk". But I love seeing my boys playing and having fun. I'm not going to make this a political post. I was just having fun looking back through pictures and remembering all the fun that they have had. I know that even though I have never actively taken part in any of their Nerf wars, I do know that when I have taken a nap in the front room I have waken up later and found Nerf darts on me. I'm trying to stay positive and think it was accidents but I'm pretty sure that when I'm in a deep sleep they could be using me for target practice. What do ya do?

No comments:

Post a Comment