Tuesday, April 12, 2011

My Ultrasound Experience

Yesterday I had to have an ultrasound because my body has decided that it doesn't need or want blood any more. I'm sorry if this is to much for some people to know about me, but this does get funny and I truly feel as though I am here to make others feel normal. In order for me to fulfill that, I have this huge need to share all my embarrassing moments with you all.

To keep this as general as possible, my period has taken on a life of its own and has insisted on staying around for the last 2 months. Because of this, I needed to have an ultrasound so that we can figure out what to do next. We need to get me to stop bleeding before I (this is just my guess) turn into a vampire because I will need blood. My boys told me that it's okay for me to be a vampire as long as I'm a sparkly one. Before it comes to that, I really am hoping that my doctor can help me.

Normally I am a little more articulate and coordinated than I was yesterday. Kenny was sweet and said that it was just nerves that caused me to act the way I did during my appointment. He is so patient and wonderful.

My morning started with me drinking 60 ounces of water, 32 ounces didn't seem like enough and I am an overachiever. I showed up for my appointment very prepared with a full bladder. The cute little technician that did my ultrasound was so nice and sweet. Once we started the ultrasound we started chatting a little and I found out that she is 29 weeks pregnant. She is so petite and has the perfect little beach ball. She is one of those cute women who has it all together and you can't say anything mean because she is so amazingly nice. As we talked with my rolly polly's showing she mentioned that her shirts are starting to fit her like short shirts. I shared with her that I remembered those days and that I always felt like Winnie the Pooh. No comment followed, I could hear crickets. She then said that she is trying to use her husbands t-shirts to sleep in and they are too small on her. I just looked at her and blurted out, but you're so tiny. More crickets, her next comment was, "lets find your ovaries."

We were now done with the first part of my ultrasound and I was apologizing if I had offended her by saying she was tiny. She said she was fine, but I wasn't. I felt so awkward and tongue tied since she didn't appreciate my Winnie the Pooh comment, either. She walked me to the restroom so I could finally use the bathroom before we started the next part of my ultrasound. Once I was done I tried and tried and tried to flush the toilet but it wouldn't flush. I thought maybe it would help to wait and try again; so I washed my hands and then while holding the paper towel I tried to flush it again several time. It would not flush. I entered the ultrasound room apologizing again because I could not get the toilet to flush. She just smiled and said she would take care of it and that I needed to undress so we could do the other ultrasound (the inside one).

I started to get ready for part 2 when I heard the toilet flush...what the heck? she flushed the toilet! I was sitting on the bed waiting for her and when she came in I said, "don't tell me that you flushed that toilet." She said yes, she had forgot that with that toilet you have to kick it. She just went in there and kicked the handle and all was done. Now why didn't I think of that? Who kicks a toilet? I'm still in awe that this little sweet pregnant woman went into the bathroom and kicked the toilet handle with her little pink clog.

My cute technician got me the stepping stool so I could get back up on the bed and it really wasn't a big step to get on the stool, but I managed to trip and almost took out the ultrasound machine. She quickly turned around and said, "here, let me hold this for you." I really don't think this visit could get any worse at that point. Really, who else could cram this much humiliation into less than an hour? Part 2 of my ultrasound went pretty quick and then I was done. When I was dressed and put back together again, she had someone else lead me out to the waiting room so I could leave. I think I was almost jogging trying to get out of there.

I'm glad that I had this done so that I have an idea of what is wrong and now I just have to wait for my doctor to call me and give me the final diagnosis and then we can start to make plans so I can hopefully return to a little more normal life soon.

I am so thankful for patient and nice people that can keep their cool when dealing with a fumbling dork like me. I want to thank that technician for being not just patient and nice but also for being gentle.

No comments:

Post a Comment