Thursday, February 24, 2011

Grounded for a Year!

Taylor had a sleepover at his friends house last night and I started remembering all of my childhood sleepovers. We always had so much fun and I only got into trouble one time. My friend Rachel would have a sleepover every year for her birthday and I looked forward to that all year long. It ranked up there with all the holidays. Her dad would let us make our own French bread pizza's. I had never done that before and once I had it I couldn't wait until the next year so I could make my own pizza and watch movies with my friends and of course celebrate Rachel's birthday.

The first sleepover I really remember having at my house was when I was still fairly young and I think I had all of my close friends there; my close friends were Christy, Rachel, Tonya, and Masina. I remember this sleepover because in the middle of the night Christy woke me up scared to death that there was a bear in the house. It took me a minute to realize what she was talking about and as I woke up and became more aware I could hear my dad snoring. He could snore and snore. I never thought about what it sounded like but that night it really did sound like a big bear growling. Once I was able to explain that to her she relaxed a little and we were able to laugh about it.

When I was in the 5th grade I made a new friend and invited her to sleep over. We got to sleep in our trailer out in back of our house. I was even nice and let my sister come with us (I'm pretty sure there was some heavy persuasion there from my parents). We got all settled and played games and played house and all those things that we could come up with being all alone and feeling big. I still don't know what possessed us to do what we did next but it ended badly. My friend suggested that we go play outside, it was about one in the morning, and even though my sister tried to get me to stay inside the trailer I didn't listen. We all ended up sneaking out and never did leave the back yard because both my sister and I knew we shouldn't be out there. As stealthy as we thought we were my mom heard us outside and watched what we were doing from her bedroom window. I don't even remember what we did or why it was so important to be out in the middle of the night. I think we just walked around and tried to be quiet, we were such dare devils. Not! In the morning after we took my friend home, we got it. We were informed that mom had been watching us the whole time and since we broke the rules we were to be grounded for a year from sleepovers. A whole year!!! I thought that was extreme since we never left the yard, but my parents didn't waver at all and for one whole year we did not get to sleepover anywhere. When it came time for my favorite sleepover at Rachel's, I was lucky to be able to go over for a couple hours and then I had to come home and leave the party.

After that I never tried to sneak around anywhere, I usually always told my mom what I was doing and where I would be (even in high school; I know I was such a dork).

Taylor just got home from his sleepover and was telling me what they did and how much fun he had. He also told me that his friends little brother was trying to get him to play a video game that Taylor knows he is not supposed to be playing. I am so proud of him right now for saying no and leaving the room. Both of my boys are like that, they know what they can and can't do and so far they have always had the strength to follow those rules. I wish I had been that way when I was young. I wouldn't have been grounded for a year!!

No comments:

Post a Comment