Tuesday, March 9, 2010

My First Starbucks



Here it is, my first ever drink from Starbucks. I know there are people out there that will never believe it, but this is really the first. The only reason that I even think that this is note worthy is because I know there are some of you out there (ie The Pioneer Woman) who would die without their Starbucks. And, whatever it was that I had was gooooood. I think it was called something like a chocolate chocolate chip frapachino. I have no idea, all I know was that it didn't last long. Somehow I sucked it down in record time and didn't even get a brain freeze. It also reminds me of another first that I had a couple of years ago.

One of my co-workers and I were taking posters around for an event that we were hosting for USU Tooele Regional Campus. While we were out she talked me into getting my first Chai Tea. Okay, she really didn't have to talk that hard because I had really wanted to try one and see what all the fuss was about. We stopped at one of the little coffee shops in town and she ordered us a Chai Tea (with Soy milk, we had to be healthy). I have to admit that it was really, really good. I didn't have enough time to finish it before I went to pick my kids up from school and so I left it sitting on the kitchen countertop.

At this point in the story, I should probably explain that we are Mormon and so we don't drink coffee or tea (or alcohol but that's not part of this story). I feel as though I should explain this little tid bit of information to help you better understand why my son reacted the way he did. Also, just in case you are one of those people who will hunt me down for somehow breaking the word of wisdom. I did hear somewhere that some of these "herbal" tea's are okay. Even if I heard wrong, that is my story and I'm stickin with it.

First, my oldest son Kelton came into the kitchen and saw the cup from the coffee shop on the counter and announced that I had been drinking coffee. He made it sound as though I had just committed a mortal sin. Really, if you had been there and seen his face you would know that I am not exaggerating at all. Then Taylor comes in and gets in on the action and the rest of our conversation went something like this:

Taylor - MOM, You're drinking COFFEE??!!!!!!!!
Me - No honey, I just got a Chai Tea.
Taylor - Oh, so that's just your fancy way of saying that you are drinking Chinese coffee!!!!
Me - It is not Chinese coffee, it is a Chai Tea, I can have a Chai Tea if I want one.
Taylor - I don't care what you say, it is a Chinese coffee

I need to tell you that I had my one Chai Tea 4 years ago and he still brings it up and gives me crap for drinking a Chinese coffee. I really don't even know why it would be such a big deal to him. We really aren't that uptight about things. We have tons of family that drinks coffee every morning and we have never said anything mean or snotty about them drinking whatever they want to. I still can not figure out why he made such a big deal about my tea, but when I said that I had my first Starbucks today he brought it up again.

So, I think I have figured it out. According to Taylor; I can have all the Diet Coke I want. I just am never allowed to come home with anything that comes in an insulated coffee cup or anything that says Starbucks.

No comments:

Post a Comment