Saturday, July 14, 2012

The Tiger's Curse


My cousin Jessie bought this first book thinking it might be a good read for her son. After really looking over the description of the book, she thought that he might not enjoy it and that it might not really be for a 10 year old boy.  Now that I have read it, I agree with her.  I however have loved reading every minute of it and have fallen in love with the author Colleen Houck.  You fall in love with the characters right from the start and get sucked into their story.  The way that Kelsey meets Ren is so unique from most of the other books that I have read.  There is an instant connection between Kelsey and Ren and is one that I can relate to because that is how I felt when I first met Kenny.  Kelsey soon learns that her tiger is more than he seems and is soon swept up in helping him solve the riddle to remove a curse from him. I love the images that are described of India and of the culture.  I also love the details described of the outfits that Ren picks out for Kelsey.  Of course there are going to be parts that I don't like, but it's so easy to overlook them when the story is moving so fast.


 Tiger's Quest is the second in the series and keeps the adventure moving forward and you meet Ren's brother Kishan.  They also accomplish another part of the equation to move closer to breaking the curse that is on the brothers that makes them be tigers for so many hours per day.  It also adds in a new twist where both brothers are now in love with Kelsey.  It almost add a Twilight feel to the book.  I know that this author has Stephanie Meyer as one of her role models.  You see the connection in that one of the brothers is more controlling and overprotective and one just loves Kelsey for who she is and doesn't expect her to change anything to be with him.  As this book moves forward the challenges become more intense and pull you through the book. The challenge isn't just more challenging but takes longer and more creativity as well as putting Kelsey and Kashon in a situation where they get to know each other better.


In this third book, the emotions and relationships get as complicated as the quest that they are on. Kelsey has to make her decision as to which brother she wants to be with and doesn't want to make it because she doesn't want to hurt the one not chosen (I'm seeing a definite correlation here to Jacob and Edward, just saying).  The obstacles that they have to overcome for this part of the adventure are more dangerous and take longer than the ones before.  There is so much imagery and history in all of these books that it is hard to take it all in, that or I just read to fast to truly enjoy all of it.  I love how in each book there is so much added to the story by adding in mythology from many different cultures.  So many stories run within this one series. They each build on the one before and I have learned so much as I have read about not just the Indian culture and their stories but many of the Greek and Eastern Countries as well.

All three books pulled me through so fast and I enjoyed the adventure so much. Each came with a mythical weapon and help from so many characters from so many mythical stories.  I know I said it has that whole Twilight feel to it, but that only is part of the relationship drama, past that there are no other similarities. The complexities of this story are so diverse and keep you wanting more.  I would definitely recommend these to anyone who wants a good adventure story with passion and romance (clean romance which is nice for a change).  I can't wait for the next book to come out in November!

No comments:

Post a Comment