Tuesday, July 17, 2012

Porch Sitting

One of my most favorite things during any weather, but snow, is sitting out front on my porch with a cold drink and visiting with family and friends. This is the first home that we have had where we couldn't sit out in a yard and have a place to visit.  These last few days with thunder storms reminded me of our last home we had in Tooele. We had a great covered front porch that we could sit out on and watch it rain.  We had a few good thunder storms where we sat out and watched the lightning and listened to the thunder. For us, that was so relaxing after a long day at work and it gave Kenny and I much needed time together to just enjoy being together.

It's kind of funny that I am thinking of this now and had just been telling my boys that this is one of the things that I remember most from my childhood.  We would go spend our Saturdays at my Aunt and Uncles house.  Our parents would sit out front under the tree in my Uncle Joe's yard and visit.  There was always a pitcher of tea sitting in the sun for my Aunt Joan. Joe usually had a beer. I have no idea what my parents drank while there but it was probably soda.  My cousins, my sister and I would run wild and play all day.  I remember those days so vividly that it could have been yesterday that we were all together.

Having that family time is something that I wish my boys could enjoy and have in their lives.  It is one of the few things from my childhood that I haven't been able to pass down to them.  We have family time for just the four of us but not with their cousins or Aunts and Uncles.  We are all so busy now that one of those bonding and sharing times that were so important to the generations before us is now almost gone.  I hope that once we are settled in Grantsville and around their cousin's we can somehow make the time to just spend time together and visit.  Those times with my family didn't always mean that anything important was discussed, it was just time together to share how things had gone that week and to basically sit around and bull shit (sorry, but that's just what it was/is). Even if it isn't time spent with our family, we have many good friends out there that are like family that I would love to share that time with.  


Here's to getting back to a simple life and bringing back one of the most basic things in life; making time for your family and friends and spending that time doing something other than watching T.V. or texting!

1 comment:

  1. We have a front patio. It's a wanna be porch, not covered, but is surrounded on two sides by house. It blocks the heat of the evening sun and we love to sit out there when the weather cools down. Sometimes friends join us and sometimes it's Matt and I. Occasionally a child or two will join us, but they like to run around the front and side yard and play 'til I break the news that it's bed time. That little patio is one of my favorite parts of this house. Should we ever move, I will miss it.

    ReplyDelete