Thursday, September 15, 2011

Wisdom from my 14 year old

This week in school both of my boys have been learning about volcano's and other related topics in their science classes.  I even got them a DVD from the library for them to watch as part of one of their lessons.  I guess that all of this has gotten Kelton to thinking about more than just volcano's because when I picked him up from Seminary today he had this to say:

"Mom, I have been thinking about things and I came up with this cool metaphor.  Our Country (and the whole world) is like a volcano right now.  There is so much tension around and you can just feel it building. It's just like a volcano when it builds up pressure until it just explodes.  If the tension keeps building like a volcano, one day everything around us is going to explode."
~Kelton

Kelton is my son who is more quiet and is always thinking but never really sharing what is going on up there.  I should have been shocked at how he put the 2 together, but it really is the type of thing that Kelton would come up with.  I am completely amazed that he shared it with me and even said I could put it on our blog.  Kelton is also my boy that likes to read the paper and watch the news and he will think about what he has learned and then when he is ready he will come talk about it and ask questions.  He will also share his opinion and he has many strong opinions already formed.  

One of the things about the observation that Kelton made that bugs me is that he has to know about terrorists and suicide bombers and war.  He learns from everything around us that people can't always be trusted even if it's your spouse (news coverage of different spouses killing the other spouse).  He knows that there are other children living in tents and motels because of how the economy is right now in our Country.  He knows that things are different now than they were when he was little and so far nothing has gotten better.  When he talks about everything exploding around us he feels as though one day he will be not just hearing about war, he will be involved in war.

I am very proud of Kelton and how he see's the world around him.  He isn't one of those kids that will sit around and keep pondering on bad news, he likes to look at things in a more positive way.  I'm the one reading more into his comment than him.  I guess I'm doing that because I never had to worry about that while I was growing up.  I never had war cross my mind until I was 16 years old and Operation Dessert Storm started. I definitely did not know that there were terrorists. He was just excited to have thought up such a good metaphor.  I will keep telling him how cool his thought is (because it is) and try hard to keep things light and leave out the doom and gloom.

No comments:

Post a Comment