Wednesday, September 14, 2011

A Morbid Rabbit Hole

This whole idea came up because I love to read the articles by Robert Kirby in The Salt Lake Tribune.  Last Saturday Kirby wrote about a friend of his that died and the service was for his friend.  It reminded me of my Great Aunt Betty's funeral and my dad's funeral and I started to compare them and also think about how my funeral should be. I know that funerals are for the people you leave behind but I still have to be in control and ya'll have to grieve the way I tell ya too! haha!

I have added the article that made me start to think about all of this and I had to add it because of the amazing way that this gentlemen's family honored him.  It was so incredibly thoughtful and loving.

http://www.sltrib.com/sltrib/lifestyle/52545285-80/funeral-kirby-comes-robert.html.csp

When we had left the funeral for Aunt Betty I was talking with my boys and told them that I don't want a sad funeral.  I want it casual and there has to be food.  I would like it to be similar to how my dad's was.  We got together as a family and talked about things my dad had done and we told the same old funny stories that we had hear a million times but they were still funny and it was how we remembered my dad.  The rule for me is that everyone has to come with some funny story to share, if you don't have one you can pick one from the blog and read that.  The whole point is everyone should be able to laugh and share stories.    



I then specified that I want a pink coffin.  Not a tacky bubble gum pink, but a subtle pink sort of like the coffin above. I like just that hint of pink.  I think I would have the inside embroidered with a Temple instead of the tacky rose.  Anything would be better than that rose!  I'm not sure as to what I want to wear, do I go with tradition or rebel and wear some fancy gown (I was a princess for my wedding, I could be one in death). Morbid, I know.

Kirby mentioned that he didn't know what mementos he would want to have with him.  As far as what mementos I want with me, I have no idea.  I think the bulk of the weight of my dad's coffin was from all of his mementos.  If they could have put his race car in there with him they would have.  That part I don't understand, it's not like you get to take them with you.  All they will do is sit inside your coffin making it squishy for your legs and rot.  I would rather have someone using my things and enjoying them like I did instead of rotting down by my feet. I really don't care that at that time I will be dead, the whole idea of having the area for my legs and feet being squished kind of creeps me out.  Like this whole post should creep me out but I really think it's funny that I have put any thought into this at all.

I know, this whole thing is just morbid.  At the same time I think it is funny.  Who else would plan their funeral long before there is ever a need.  I guess since my 2 close calls last month I have thought about it a little.  Kenny's idea of planning is to have me not claim his body and make the State take care of him.  I would never do that but he has said on several occasions that is what I'm to do.  Whatever!

No matter what happens or when it happens you have all been told what to do when I die.  You have your assignment and I will show up at the funeral if your not laughing and eating.  I will definitely show up if there are any loooooong speech's.  I will be the mute button!!! :)

1 comment:

  1. Adrian said to wrap him burlap and bury him beneath the tree...which I told him if he dies tomorrow that will be his only option because that is all we can afford :)...I will give him the state option though ;)

    ReplyDelete