Sunday, September 11, 2011

Utah State Fair 2011

We went to the fair yesterday after Kenny got off work.  We couldn't have picked a better time to go.  The temperature was perfect and the crowds were small.  It was perfect!

We got there just in time to watch the rodeo. The only problem was that everyone in Utah, Idaho, and Colorado had gotten to the stands an hour before us and there was no where to sit.  We stood off to the side and was able to see the riders come right out of the shoot.  It was exciting and the boys enjoyed watching their first experience of seeing a rider ride bareback on a horse and to see it bucking.  Before the beginning of the rodeo they had four people parachute in with different flags, I got pictures of the two people coming in with our State flag and our Countries flag.  I was very impressed that the other parachuters were there to catch the American flag so that it didn't touch the ground.



After watching the rodeo for a little while we decided to walk around for a bit.  The first thing we came along was a complete Lego area.  They had Lego car races and these two "statues" that were built out of Lego's.  I know my boys are older but I still forced them to have their pictures taken in one of them.  It was a little annoying for the other people around us while they waited for me to get the boys to agree to their pictures being taken in the Lego animals.  One day, they can add it to the list of reasons of why they are in therapy and why I was a bad mom.

Our most important stop at the fair is to see the animals.  I have been wanting at least a small farm and or ranch, so the farm animals were a must see.  We saw the cows first and I really really wanted to pet one but since all my knowledge about cows have come from movies I didn't want to just approach one of the cows without permission.  Movies make them all look skittish and I really didn't want to start a stampede at the fair.  Okay, my imagination just went out of control.  I doubt it would have started a stampede but I also felt that it would have been disrespectful to just approach their roped off cattle.  Just in case, for the true city slicker, I will label the 2 pictures of the cows so you know which one is which :)

Dairy Cows

Beef Cattle








                                                                     



Our next stop was to see the sheep.  I just had to pet them, I knew the sheep would be okay and not start a stamped.  At least I don't think it could happen.  This was a first for me, I barely will touch any animal. That even included our dog, I would let him sit on me but I didn't really pet him much.  Don't ask, it's just a Rachelle thing.  Anyway, I loved how the sheep felt. There were some that had not been sheered yet and their fur felt so thick and almost soft but not really.  Hopefully someone understands that, it's kind of hard to explain.  I also had to pet a couple of the pigs. They look wiry and rough and that was exactly what I felt.  They were all so cute and the one that I took the picture of reminds me of the large "Spring Pig" in Charlotte's Web.  The big pig that was in the pen behind Wilbur.                                         





 Once we had all sufficiently Purelled ourselves to death we moved into one of the other agricultural buildings.  Of course the first thing you notice is the large pumpkins.  There were 2 of them but this one was the bigger of the 2 and everyone in there thought that they needed their kids pictures with the large pumpkins more than any one else did.  After waiting I did get to take this picture and finally after much patience I got my boys to pose for me one more time to help show how big this thing really was.  It weighed 896 lb's.  Crazy!!!

In that same building they had a huge display to teach you about bee keeping in your backyard.  This huge display with bees working and going in and out of a tube to the outside of the building had us all mesmerized. My mom's backyard is big enough that we could do this and then sell the honey at one of the local farmers markets but Chris is allergic so I knew that wouldn't fly.  It was still amazing to watch them work.



 Once we could peel ourselves away from the bees, and finding out that the owner of this incredible display was holding the queen bee in his hand.  It was time to move on and wander around.  We worked our way past many interesting things (and people).  Eventually we found ourselves at the fine arts building.  I am always amazed at how talented people are.  There were so many paintings in there that I wanted to bring home.  My very most favorite painting they had in there was an almost life size portrait of Christ.  It was a side view of him and he looked so calm.  It's how I imagine him and it brought a calming feeling to me. 
Even though I saw other people in there taking pictures of the art, I didn't think it was right, so I didn't take a picture of any of the artwork. If I had there would have been a ton more pictures to share.


Speaking of talent, I had to take this picture of a piggy grill.  As much as I love piggies, there is no way on this green earth that I would ever put that in my yard and use it.  Besides that I don't do the grilling and I know that there is no way Kenny would be caught dead standing in front of that grilling some Brats.  The sign next to it announcing the huge blowout sale that they were having makes me wonder if there were normal grills for sale or if they were all animals and this was the poor little piggy that got left behind?        One may never know.


We finally found something other than cheap toys that would break in five minutes of getting home.  This little booth had not only some of the ugliest (skanky, I took a picture so I could show how bad they were but decided not to put anyone through that) tops but also had character shirts that my boys liked.  Taylor got Sonic and Kelton got Perry (the platypus from Phineas and Ferb).

We were all done at this point and I really should have brought my cane, I couldn't even stand up straight while we were walking back to the car.  To get to the car we had to go back past the rodeo and we got there to see the last 2 bull riders.  We (I) had to stop and watch.  The boys had never seen bull riding before and when I looked back I swear their eyes were almost the size of dinner plates.  It was awesome!!

It was such a fun evening and a great way to spend time together as a family.
It was perfect!!!


No comments:

Post a Comment