Saturday, August 20, 2011

The Help

My rating: 4 of 5 stars

I really liked this book. I know someone who grew up in the south and had a "Mammy". It was such a different life, I can't even imagine growing up with help in the house that also helped to raise the kids. I loved how Kathryn Stockett took the time to make sure the reader understood the risks that they were taking by writing that book. It was such a scary time in our history and unfortunately some things in the South haven't changed much. I love how strong the women are in this story, both white and black. The story wouldn't have been the same if it didn't include all the good and bad. I love Minny and her strength and understand how she could put up with the abuse for so long. It was good at the end when she finally gets the strength to leave. Aibeleen is amazing with the kids that she is caring for. She is so brave to tell her story and to share her secret stories with baby girl. It was so fun to see how each of the women developed and grew through the story. I am so glad that my mom got this book for me and that I was able to enjoy and learn more about an area of the Country that I would love to visit. I have always loved the South and the idea of living on a plantation. Darn that Gone with the Wind! :) I know that the movie isn't going to be as good, but now I have to see the movie.



1 comment:

  1. The movie was not as good as the book but the movie was still very good and worth seeing :)....

    ReplyDelete