Monday, March 7, 2011

Rube Goldberg Project

Kelton had a project that he needed to do for his science class called the Rube Goldberg project. I had never heard of this before and had no clue what Kelton was talking about when he first brought up the whole project idea. I may have had no idea because I might not have been listening in class when I was younger, but maybe I did learn and had successfully forgotten it. Either way, I know that I never had to do a project like this for school.

His project is due today and yes we spent last night doing his project, but in Kelton's defense he did have a partner he was working with that flaked out on him at the last minute and left Kelton to come up with a new project idea and do it on his own. Kenny really stepped up and helped a ton with the idea. He also helped a ton when it came to using up all of my scotch tape and then moving onto Duct tape and it he could use my stapler for something, he ran around stapling things together. We had string stapled to the ceiling and string stapled to tennis balls. You'll see a picture of the duct tape soon.

In order for Kelton's project to work and follow the guidelines set by his teacher, Kelton had to have 8 things happen before the final object of the whole project was finished. I'm not sure if that really made sense. Let me try again, 8 things had to happen all together. Kelton needed there to be 7 things happening before the 8th thing happened; in this case it was to pop a balloon.

After 22 tries, and yes I had to try to film each one, Kelton finally got his project to work. The first video is I think try #20 or something, but it was so funny that I had to add it. It could have just been funny at the time, so sorry if it really was one of those things that you had to be there for.




Here is the actual project. I tried to film it the best I could, please be patient with me as I am still quit inexperienced. What I can say is that I am thankful for digital cameras, it was so easy to just go in and delete all the times that the car flew off in the wrong direction or the dominoes didn't all fall. After 22 tries, here is how everything came together.


At the end of it all Kelton announced that the car had gone straight through the balloon and was stuck in the floor. I'm not sure if you can really tell in the picture but the needle is pushed pretty far into the kitchen floor.


We actually had so much fun doing this project. I truly enjoyed watching Kenny and Kelton work together to make his project work. Taylor was also helping and was sneaking off with the unused dominoes and building his own towers on the couch. He kept knocking them down before I could get a picture, but they were impressive.

I also feel as though I need to thank our silent helpers who didn't even know they helped with this because they were out of town. Thank you to Grandma Shauna and Grandma Chris for providing the balloons and the dominoes. I'll bring the dominoes back this week :)

1 comment:

  1. THAT IS AWESOME!! Ben watched the video and says, "Mom, I want one of those for my birthday." So funny.

    ReplyDelete