Thursday, March 31, 2011

March, where did you go?

I can't believe that today is the end of March. Where did the first of this year disappear to?

Today is my little cousin's birthday; Happy Birthday Jack!!!!!

This month has been a little crazy and busy. Some of this was recorded here already and you already know that our cat (Bella) Toni had decided to become nocturnal and need all of his attention between 1 am and 5 am. Other than that I never saw that cat, he would hide and sleep. Kenny was home sick yesterday and we had to make the decision to find Toni a new home. We are officially a pet free home now. It is kind of sad and we all still miss Charlie tons, but it is also a relief to know that our four legged boys will be taken care of by someone who has the patience and time to give them what they need and want.

A couple weeks ago Kenny was asked to be a part of Young Mens, he is now the Deacon advisor and assistant scout master. So far he is loving it and has enjoyed having this time with Kelton while he was still a Deacon. In 2 months Taylor will turn 12, receive the Priesthood and be a Deacon. I think he is excited to have his dad be his leader and be in his class teaching him. I know Kenny is excited and has already gotten the time off work approved so he can go to scout camp with them this summer. Kenny remembers his amazing scout leaders and all that they did to make scouts fun and to be there for him during his teen years. Kenny wants to be the same kind of leader that he had.

This month for book club we were supposed to read Cannery Row by John Steinbeck. This is such a small book, not even 200 pages, and I'm sorry to admit that I couldn't finish this book. It took me 2 weeks to struggle through the first 100 pages and then I just couldn't finish. I'm so embarrassed to admit this. I can fly through a 500 page book in a couple of days, but not Cannery Row. I kept pushing myself for book club and then finally decided that it wasn't worth being miserable. My Uncle Ron watched the movie back in the day and just raved about it but I can guarantee you that nothing he described is what I read. I also really doubt that the details that he told me about the story wouldn't have fit into the last 60 or so pages that I didn't read. I may have to watch the movie, but I don't plan on trying to re-read the book. If I truly want to torture myself I will try to figure out Isaiah!

After talking things over with Kenny we decided that we should buy a summer pass. It's called the pass of all passes and gives you so much for not much money. We got a season pass to seven peaks water park, season home tickets to all Blaze games, tickets to four Grizzlies hockey games, tickets to four Real Salt Lake games, and tickets to six races out at Rocky Mountain Raceway. Since Kenny was home sick, we went last night to get our passes and have our picture taken (to put on the pass). We should be busy this summer and having tons of fun. This will pretty much cover our vacation for this summer and Kenny is going to take some days off so we can go to the water park together.

I saved this part for the last because every time I bring up home schooling my children, someone out there has to disagree with it and tell me how wrong it is to home school children. I have finally decided to home school my children and am going through the admission process to admit them to the Utah Virtual Academy. Kenny completely surprised me this last weekend and approached me about having the boys home schooled, he is totally on board with this and has been helping me to get things ready. Both of the boys are so excited and most of the friends Kelton has made are home schooled. We'll be able to plan some things with them to help enrich their on line lessons. I'm crossing my fingers that they will be accepted so we can start their classes the middle of August.

March has been so busy and full of so many big decisions that I'm scared a little to see what April brings. Usually March is our quiet month before the insaneness of April hits. I hope you all have had a good month and that your families are doing well.

2 comments:

  1. You are brave to homeschool... I don't think the kids and me would survive it:)....the movie version of cannery row is actually made after 2 of steinbecks book.....cannery row had a second book that went with it....can't remember the name at the moment....not a huge fan of the book either ;).....

    ReplyDelete
  2. I knew you would know more about that stupid book, and I'm glad that you aren't a huge fan of it either. Home schooling is going to be an adventure but I just feel like it is what my boys need. It's either that or now that I'm home I feel like I need a reason to be home. As if being sick all the time isn't enough of a reason :)

    ReplyDelete