Wednesday, March 9, 2011

The Fever Series



I recently finished reading the Fever series by Karen Marie Moning. I have to say that I was instantly hooked with the first book, Dark Fever. It kept flowing and moving quickly as the story progressed. It was like that all the way through to the 5th book. The story takes place in Dublin and starts out with our main character finding out that her sister has been murdered. The Dublin police can't find any clues as to who could have killed her and close the case quickly. This is when our main character defies her parents and takes off to Dublin to solve the case of her sisters murder. She isn't in Dublin for more than a day or so when she quickly gets involved with the whole other side of life that is going on around her and starts learning that she is a part of that other world and has her own special power. She also soon learns that everyone wants to use her for that power.

I am just going to get this out of the way first, if there was one thing that I could complain about with these books it would be the use of the "F" word. Amazingly there really isn't much swearing in these books other than that one word, or I kept trying so hard to skip that word that I didn't notice anything else. Either way, that is one of the words that I really have a hard time with. I have a friend that gave me some really good advice when we were younger and I was testing my limits and was thinking I sounded so grown up when I swore; she said that it made me sound stupid and that anyone who has to constantly resort to that kind of language is stupid because they can't come up with any other words to use out of all the words that we have in our language to describe their feelings or tell a story. Just sayin'....

I loved all the characters in this series. I love how they describe the main character, MacKayla Lane, she starts out so innocent and naive and then as she understands her role and begins to accept and grow into her new life she just blossoms into this amazing woman. The only things that bugged me about her was that she spent so much time in the beginning trying to learn everything and trying to be tough and saying that she didn't need help. However, by the end of the third book, Faefever, she gets raped by the fae and is completely changed by it (leaving it vague so that I don't give to much away). Once she recovers with the help of Barons (I'll explain him later) she is mad at him for not being there to rescue her. It's hard to see the heroin try so hard to be independent when you know she can't be and then get mad when someone isn't there to rescue her. I wish her character would have been willing to open up more and accept help.

Barrons, who if he was real I would seriously have a crush on, is the strong protector that takes Mac in (or Ms. Lane as Barrons calls her). He owns a bookstore and allows Mac to live there so that she is protected and is also trying to teach her and help her to learn her new talents. At times he can be very gruff and frustrating, even abusive. But somehow with Barrons it is okay for him to be that way. He keeps many secrets (as all the characters do), however, as I read I couldn't help but think that if he would have just opened up a little bit it would have helped his relationship with Ms. Lane so much. She would have needed to open up a bit also as well. I understand why they didn't and it did make it fun to read as they have these conversations and try to figure each other out and end up fighting. Their fights are always emotional and have a strong sexual undertone to them, so when Barrons does slam Ms. Lane up against the wall and hold her there, it's okay and you just hold your breath wishing he would just kiss her.

V'Lane is the other main character who is Fae (or is a fairy) and has his own special power that left Mac in a few compromising situations. I can't tell you his power, you will have to read the books, but whenever he enters the story I end up blushing and hoping that nobody has noticed. He is very good looking and has also taken an interest in Mac. He spends time with her and is trying to help her understand the history of all that is going on as well as teach her about her power. For me, I wanted to like V'Lane but had a hard time really liking him as much as Barrons. It could be that Barrons carries more masculine power with him, the whole big and strong thing that would make me like him more. But I also think that as I read there were just little things here and there that bugged me about V'Lane, something was just off.

I absolutely loved these books and would suggest them to anyone who likes to read really good adventures with lots of sexual undertones and a little bit of a love story in there as well. Ms. Moning does an amazing job describing Dublin and developing her characters. She does an incredible job making you continue to guess the entire time who is the good guy and who is the bad guy. She literally does this through the entire series and almost right up to the last page. I can't wait until I have some time to be able to read more of her books.

I hope that I didn't give to much away, I wanted to offer just enough that it would bait you and want you to get sucked away to Dublin for several days. I need to thank my cousin Jessie for suggesting that I read this series and for lending me the books. Thank you, Thank you, I loved every minute I got to read them.

1 comment:

  1. Man.....It looks like I need to make another trip to the library and hope they have the series! Definitely want to read!!

    ReplyDelete