Tuesday, September 7, 2010

This Great Country

This past week Heri Sutanto, Carrie's husband, became one of the newest citizens of our Country. He has worked so hard to be able to finally reach this important day. It has taken him 18 years to become a citizen and to do it legally. There have been many hoops for him to jump through and many things that Carrie helped him with. I have been amazed at all that they had to do for the first 9 years of their marriage for Heri to be able to stand and say the oath and receive his certificate of citizenship.

Kenny and I talked the whole way home from Heri's party to celebrate his accomplishment about how easy we have had it. I have spent the last couple of days thinking of all the things that I have taken for granted in my life. I was born in this great Country and all the hard work had been done by my family members who immigrated to this Country just a few generations ago. I have spent time wondering about all they had to do to become citizens. I know they had to learn English, but other than that I'm not sure what they had to learn or how long it took them to get their citizenship. Did they come in through Ellis Island? I only know what Countries they came from, past that I have no idea how they came over or where they first started their lives here.

As for what I have taken for granted would have to include that I didn't have to be part of the beginning of this Country. I didn't have to fight for my freedom, that was already done for me. I was able to just grow up learning English in school and reading about the lives of those before me and all that they did so that I could attend school. I was able to have a childhood where I just got to worry about cleaning my room and playing with friends, I didn't have to stop school to work on a farm or in a factory to help support my family. I didn't have to stop school before I could even attend High School because I was needed at home to help raise my sibling like my Grandma had to do. I'm able to travel where I want, when I want. I'm able to practice my religion and even have this blog where I can write what I want without fear of being censored.

I am so thankful for all of our first generation families who came and helped to build this wonderful Nation that I get to enjoy living in. I also love seeing the new first generation of immigrants and how they are helping to shape and move this Nation forward. I am so thankful for all that each person brought with them and how it has impacted this Country to make it so diverse. I am so appreciative of a loving God that set this land aside for us to live in and has continued to bless it with his protection so that we can continue to have our freedom.

Congratulations Heri!!!

I have always loved having you as a member of our family and I am so excited for you to now be an official member of our Country. I also want to thank you for helping me to take a moment to realize all that you have gone through to reach this moment in your life and for helping me to take a moment (or several) to realize all that I have to be thankful for.

No comments:

Post a Comment