Saturday, May 22, 2010

What is her name?

This past week has been filled with many ups and downs and all came with many emotions. I have been sick, Taylor survived a hike up Mt. Timpanogas, Kenny was put on insulin, and Kelton was home sick for two days this week. You would think that would be enough to fill my time and that in the NyQuil stupor that I have been in I wouldn't have noticed much more than our crazy life. I did notice something else and it could just be the cold medicine talking, but I heard something on the radio this week that has just really bothered me.

To begin with, I am a HUGE Twilight fan. Not huge like I have Twilight posters or clothing or anything like that. I am more like the huge fan that just loves the books and enjoys the movies and has read the books and watched the movies more than one time. So, it kind of ticked me off the other day when I heard a little snip it on the radio announcing that they are having a hard time getting all the actors on board to film the last movie because someone had decided that she is worth more money. The actress who plays Alice thinks that she is worth more money because she has made some other movies since starting in the Twilight series.

Let's break this down and really think about what she is requesting. First of all, I would like to point out that I don't even know your name! Not knowing your name could be because you are a new actress, it could be because I'm getting older and couldn't remember it even if I had wanted to, or it could mean that you just haven't ended up in enough trouble yet to be on the cover of US or People enough to have me notice you. Or, it really could be that honestly all you have done is portray a character from a book that a lot of people love and you did such an amazing job being that character that I just know you as "Alice". But, does it really mean that you should get some outrageous raise just because you did a good job pretending?

Who ever you are, you have already made more money than I will ever make and all you had to do was remember a few lines and get all dressed up and pretend to be a cute vampire with an amazing talent. If we think about the character herself, she doesn't flaunt her money or her power in the books and she spends most of her time helping others instead of focusing on herself. If your main goal is money, how did you ever get into character?

My whole point in all of this isn't to just focus on one actor (even though I did single out whats her face that plays Alice), it is to put this whole thing of what someone is worth into perspective. I know the world isn't fair, but I think it is crazy to pay people tons of money just because they are pretty; can pretend really well; throw, kick, or hit a ball, or whatever else we find entertaining at the time.

The people out there who are really making a difference don't get paid or get paid very little compared to our entertainment industry. They think that every person they help is priceless. They have never thrown a tantrum to get more pay before they will help teach a child how to read. They don't send their agent to negotiate terms before they will help a refugee learn how to prepare food for their family in a new country. It's the nurse that will go out to a child's home and comfort her family while she dies in the middle of the night. It is even the husband and father, who is in the Army, that left his family behind to protect our Country so that I have the freedom to write my opinion.

I may not know the names of all of these people either, but they are not demanding millions of dollars to pretend to be a vampire!


2 comments:

  1. Amen! I am so glad you posted this!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is an amazing piece of writing. I think you should share it in more places. As many people should read this as possible. With your permission,I'd like to cut and paste it to another place. Let me know if your giggy with that.

    ReplyDelete