Saturday, June 12, 2010

Taylor's Birthday

It is official, we now have a teen and a tween in our home. Let the hormones rage!

Taylors birthday was actually last week, sorry bud, I'm a little behind in getting your big day posted.

I can't believe that you are 11 now. It seems like yesterday that you were born and we had the nurses mad at us at the hospital for our corky sense of humor. I really think it was just last month that I was taking you to Primary Children's Hospital every other week to get you a new cast on your leg. Those days were such a blur of doctors appointments and preparing for your first big surgery. I remember not knowing how to pick you up when you got out of surgery, you were only 6 months old and you had so many tubes and lines coming from you and I was so scared that I would hurt you. I can't believe how much you have grown and what an amazing young man you are today. You have made it through so much; physically the five surgeries and mentally everything that comes from being slightly different from everyone else. However, through it all you have learned how to look at other people with a new appreciation of what they might be going through and you have so much compassion for others. I hope you never lose that!

It was so much fun seeing you get your new birthday presents. I can't even believe that you are big enough to ride your new mountain bike and I had so much fun watching you put together your new lego set.

Here you are first seeing your new bike. I wish I could have gotten a better picture of your expression, you were so surprised that all you could do was stand there and point at it. convincing you that you could ride it was the next trick.



Chris did a wonderful job of demonstrating how to ride a mountain bike and how to change the gears, all with the tags still on. I'm not sure how much that helped Taylor to finally get on and ride, but Chris sure looked like she was having fun.

You finally did get on and figure out how to ride your new bike that you kept thinking was to big for you. You still look a little unsure here, but it was no time until you took off. Now you ride so fast going up and down our street that you and your brother are starting to scare me. Please, both of you, remember to not land on your head, just until I decide to be a good mom and get you a new helmet.




One of our new traditions that we have started is singing happy birthday really fast while Chris holds a lighter for the birthday person to blow out. It all started because none of us remember to buy candles and with Grandma on oxygen it isn't a good idea to have a bunch of little candles anywhere near her. Open flame, oxygen, I don't know, but we started thinking that it might not be a good thing to have together. I finally taped us singing so we can always remember how silly and creative we are. We also need to remember that this was all started for safety, not that none of us could ever remember to buy candles.



No comments:

Post a Comment