Wednesday, February 29, 2012

Alter Ego

When I went to the library this week there was a paper with the title, "what literary character would you be?"  For some reason that idea has stuck with me.  Being the drama queen that I am I think it would depend on the day to know which character I would want to be and then there is the question I have come up with that wonders if a television script can count as literature.  I feel that that is a very legitimate question.  It would let me add in so many more alter egos.

Somewhere in my head I think I live most of my life in the early years of our Country in the South.  I am a total, wanna be, Southern Belle.  In fact that is where my nickname came from, just a little trivia for you all. I'm pretty sure that if we did have lives before this one mine was one of a nice Southern woman.  At any given time I can picture myself sitting on a large front porch drinking lemonade and wearing a lovely, elegant hoop dress with a beautiful matching hat.  My home would be one of the very traditional large plantation homes that would be surrounded by sprawling green lawns with trees and farther on large fields of cotton and or tobacco.  I used to watch Gone with the Wind a lot when I was young, that should help explain some of this.

There are other days that I am part of a good love story.  I could be any one of the characters from a Jane Austen book or most any other of the good love stories that I have read.  I am a hopeless romantic and love to read and see how each relationship comes together and how the whole story unfolds.  I love the Austen stories because they are so romantic and set in the beautiful English countryside.  They wear my favorite style of dress, empire waist dresses are the best!  They have elegant dances and parties (just like my first example) and are very proper.  I'm not to sure about having a complete life of luxury--some of the things that they do would drive me insane.  I would have to be stimulated more unless I go with the idea that if that is just what I'm used to then that is just what I would do.  I'm also not so sure about being too proper.  I have a feeling that I would struggle there as well.

Still with the love story idea I also love a good fantasy love story like Twilight or the more adult Fever Series. I can visit Forks or Dublin almost anytime and even when I do allow myself to get sucked back into one of those books my boys know I am gone for the duration.  None of the stories that I have read are really healthy relationships but then again they are fiction and just to be enjoyed.

Now to the television part.  If these can be included it would encompass what my real life is more like.  I love watching the Middle.  We fit into that dysfunctional family to some degree.  I have never missed one of my boys birthday's but there are so many other things that I can relate to.  Those feelings of frustration as a mother and wife when things just don't go right.  When something breaks and you just don't have the money right then to barely repair it let alone buy something new.  When life takes over and you begin to think that romance is a thing of the past (doesn't help when this happens just as you begin reading a wonderful love story).  It really doesn't matter how well I try to plan--if I try to put together a planned family day or vacation it all falls apart and nothing ends up as I had planned. I could definitely be the mom on that show.

Last but not least, as long as I can include television, I would have to be able to embrace the mom from Home Improvement.  Living in a house with all men, Jill is totally one I can relate with.  I am consistently surrounded by bodily functions, tools, and other forms of mayhem.  I love my guys but would appreciate some things to be left alone and as they came from the store (or dealership).  I would love to not be outnumbered during most all conversations and then have to listen to my topic switched to one that includes any number of bodily functions being laughed about.  As much as I love the laughter, the topic can get old (at least for a girl).  I guess my topics can get old for them also. They can get bored with clothes, hair, polish colors and new recipes.  I don't see how though :)

In the end, my life is so interesting that I should learn to enjoy my very own character and just keep sharing my own experiences with you all and maybe someday I will be able to put some of these ideas and stories into some kind of order and get my character published for all to read.  It would be really funny to see someone want to be this character.

No comments:

Post a Comment