Friday, February 10, 2012

Kelton's Owie

Last Friday night Kelton was at his friends house for their monthly Halo party when, during a wrestling match, he fell and broke his wrist.  Kelton has been very proud to have been the only one in the family to not have had anything major ever happen to him.  He hasn't had a broken bone or surgery or anything else ever happen in his life.  He has also felt a little left out because he doesn't get the special care packages that his aunt makes for everyone else or any of the other special attention that comes from having a medical problem.  

He finally got some of that special attention when he fell and within a matter of minutes his wrist looked like this (most of you probably saw this on facebook):


He had to wait the standard week before he could get his cast put on so the swelling could go down.  We are so blessed to already be established patients with 2 very good orthopedic surgeons.  I decided that I didn't feel right taking advantage of our relationship with Shriner's just for a cast so I got him in to see Kenny's orthopedic surgeon.  He is so nice and it was to throw him off a little.  When we got into the room to see Dr. Richards he came in and just looked at me and finally asked if he knew me. I said yes and that my husband is Kenny and that he did Kenny's surgery last month.  I love that we have such good doctors and also think it is sad that they all know me so well; even when I'm not the patient.

Dr. Richards told Kelton that for a normal wrist fracture you have to have a full cast that goes all the way up your arm but that since Kelton's break isn't that bad that if he promised to be good and not play sports or wrestle he would let him have a half cast.  However, when Kelton said he wanted a red cast Dr. Richards tried to talk him into a blue one (for BYU).  Kelton quickly said no, red for UofU.  After some bantering Kelton was informed that he insisted on sticking with red that he would have to have a full cast and a half cast on the other arm.  Kelton's face was complete shock.  I love doctors with a good sense of humor!

This is the sweet assistant who put on Kelton's cast.  I was even nice and asked before I took her picture.  She was even nicer and agreed to let me snap away.

This is the halfway point.  The assistant was wetting another roll to finish up his cast with.  I thought it was so interesting to watch her put the cast on.  Taylor's cast's are always done when he comes out of surgery so I had no idea how much went into building up the cast and forming it.

Finally finished!!  He got the color he wanted and only a half cast and yet he still would not smile for the camera.

Kelton is so lucky to have his owie only be a little fracture, it could have been so much worse.  He also only needs to wear his cast for a month.  He should still have it on for the next party so he should come out the winner of the next match if he will use it as a weapon :)  just kidding...that goes against his promise and he may end up in a full cast if he doesn't follow the rules.

No comments:

Post a Comment