Monday, January 10, 2011

My Palace

I read a quote in Church yesterday that has just stuck with me...It is from C.S. Lewis in his book, Mere Christianity.

"Imagine yourself as a living house. God comes in to rebuild that house. At first, perhaps, you can understand what he is doing. He is getting the drains right and stopping the leaks in the roof and so on: you knew that those jobs needed doing and so you are not surprised. But presently He starts knocking the house about in a way that hurts abominably and does not seem to make sense. What on earth is He up to? The explanation is that he is building quite a different house from the one you thought of - throwing out a new wing here, putting on an extra floor there, running up towers, making courtyards. You thought you were going to be made into a decent little cottage: but He is building a palace."

There are times when I can feel that changing happening inside of me and it makes me scared because it's not what I'm used to. I'm used to being that little cottage. It's modest and doesn't bring a lot of attention. I need to learn to not fear because I know that He is always with me, guiding me.

This also reminds me of another quote from President Dieter F. Uchtdorf in his talk, Happiness is your heritage.

"Think about it - your spirit body is a masterpiece, created with a beauty, function, and capacity beyond imagination...."

I love both of these quotes because they both help me to know that I am a masterpiece and if I will not fear, the Lord will help to make me into a beautiful palace. I need to take the time to focus more on the inside and remember that it doesn't really matter what the shell is that holds that masterpiece because if I'm working on fulfilling my mission, that masterpiece will show through.

I just felt as though I needed to share this with you because I know how hard I can be on myself. I'm not always good at remembering my own self worth. I hope these quotes can help someone else as much as they have helped me.

No comments:

Post a Comment