Saturday, April 21, 2012

Wake Up Sounds

This morning while I was trying to pry my eyes open (which, they are still slightly closed but I didn't want to forget this story) I was listening to my normal Saturday morning sounds. I could tell that one of my boys was up and already playing video games. The dog was jumping off my bed and checking on the house and checking to see if the boy that was up would be willing to take her out anytime soon. Pretty soon, my other son woke up and I could hear him shuffle his way down the hall to join in on the video game fun.  I let them rent a different game so of course that is all that there is to life today, video game time.  At this point all was fairly normal for a Saturday morning with Kenny at work.

Before I have time to completely realize what has happened I hear this squeal from the living room and one of the boys saying "do you think it bit me?"  I knew it was Taylor but he has never been my overly dramatic squealing son.  But, here he was repeating the question of "did it bite me?" with it hitting a higher pitch each time.  Kelton, being the ever faithful, stand by your side brother is laughing and telling him to not worry about it. In my bed with my eyes still closed I asked what was going on.  Kelton told me that there was a Mosquito eater (at least that's what we call them, the big looking mosquito things) in the house.  Taylor ran down the hall to inform me that it was huge and was "flying around real aggressive like."  Honest, that is what he told me.  Did I get transported to West Virginia overnight?  I rolled my eyes under my eyelids and told them to swat it.

At this point I have to be thankful that we insist that all guns are locked in a safe.  I am so strict that I insist that even their pellet guns are locked in there with everything else.  It's a good thing.  No sooner where the words out of my mouth, both boys were in their room loading up their Nerf gun and running down the hall to open fire on the poor bug.  Really?!  What made them think that using a Nerf gun to shoot at a bug was the appropriate thing to do when I said to swat it?  After listening to the high pitch squeal return and the Nerf gun being fired repeatedly I wandered out of my room (eyes only half open at this time), grab the newspaper out of Kelton's hands and hit (or swat) the stupid thing and kill it.  Really, is it really that hard?  For crying out loud, Kelton is almost taller than me and I think his arms are longer than mine. But I was the one who had to kill a stupid bug with only half my eyesight.

Peace was quickly restored once I threw away the newspaper and now all I can think is great, I didn't get to read it before I had to use it as a weapon and there was no way I was going to pry all the dead parts of that bug off the paper so that I could skim over it.  Oh well, at least there are no holes in the walls and we all have all of our arms, legs, fingers, toes, and no one shot an eye out. Our dog was also happy because Taylor finally was willing to listen to me and take her outside.

I honestly can't wait to tell Kenny how his sons' not only squealed at the sight of a stupid bug that is harmless to them but that they were trying to shoot it, with a Nerf gun no less.  I have a feeling that my comment about embracing our inner redneck has gone a little too far.  Just a guess!

No comments:

Post a Comment